Tuesday, March 31, 2009

The Bohr atom

In this post, I hope to describe the Bohr model of the atom. In the next post, I will use the Bohr model (together with the nature of light discussed in the last few posts) to predict the existence of "spectral lines," which will finally bring me back to dark matter by explaining exactly how we measure the speed of those rotating galaxies (see the Dark Matter Intro link at the right if this is not familiar). Historically speaking, I'm presenting this material backwards, as the observation of spectral lines came first and the explanation came later, but I will proceed anyway.

Niels Bohr is in many ways the father of quantum physics, if not its prime mover. He came of age before the revolutionary wave of the 1920s, but almost all of the physicists involved in developing quantum mechanics (Heisenberg, Dirac, Pauli to name a few) spent some time at the Institute of Theoretical Physics he founded in 1921. His model of the atom was a precursor to all of the discoveries of quantum physics to follow.

So what is that model? Although it turns out not to be accurate, it's a pretty good start, and I would guess that the Bohr model is generally the picture most of us have in our minds for the atom today. Analogous to our picture of the solar system, the Bohr model imagines a dense, very small nucleus, surrounded by orbiting electrons (I took the picture from a website at Jefferson Lab).

By itself, that isn't all that interesting - the real theoretical interest of the Bohr atom was that the electrons are constrained to lie at specific orbits. In the solar system, the planets could theoretically lie at any radius - we could take the Earth, move it a little farther away from the sun, and it would still orbit contentedly (we might all be a bit colder, but the orbit would be fine). In Bohr's atom, an electron can't move to a slightly larger orbit; instead, it would have to jump to the next available orbit. The analogy is that the Earth can only be at our orbit or Mars' orbit, but nowhere in between.

To take this a step further, we can add energy considerations. The farther away from the nucleus, the more energy an electron has. Therefore, whenever an electron switches orbits, it gives up or takes in energy (depending on whether it's heading out or heading in). If it is only allowed to be in certain orbits, then the possible energy steps are discrete - it can only take in or give up a very specific amount of energy. For one more analogy, suppose my mom is on an elevator on the ground floor. If she goes up in the elevator, she can only get off on floors, she can't get off in between floors. And, as she goes up, she picks up a specific amount of energy (which she could give back if she were to jump out a window - she would be rather more regretful if she jumped out a 4th floor window as opposed to a 1st floor window because of all the energy she picked up by going up the elevator). The electrons in the orbit of the Bohr atom are like my mom on the elevator - they can't get off between floors and the amount of energy they can pick up or give out is discrete and fixed.

The very astute reader might see a similarity between this model and the photoelectric effect of Einstein from a few posts ago, when light could carry a specific and discrete amount of energy depending on its frequency. In fact, this is exactly the same thing - how does the electron gain or give up energy? By absorbing or emitting photons (in the photoelectric effect, an electron absorbs enough energy to jump off the surface of the metal, or be "freed" from the orbit). This has significant results for observations of atoms as we'll see in the next post. For now, though, I'll put up one more diagram, similar to the one above, containing the positively charged nucleus at the center, and an electron that can be in one of three "energy levels" (or floors) by emitting or absorbing a photon (the wavy line). Also, for a little interactive demonstration of the same thing, try this.

(Courtesy of the Department of Energy)

21 comments:

  1. I understand the written information better than the illustrations, but perhaps that is because I am a word person. That is not to say I understand all the written information. Of course I understand the parts about my getting off and on an elevator, and the energy required the higher I go... So I push on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered adding more videos to your blog posts to keep the readers more entertained? I mean I just read through the entire article of yours and it was quite good but since I'm more of a visual learner,I found that to be more helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear licitatii,
    I have considered adding more videos. The problem is that more videos require more effort (either to make them myself or to find them, vet them, and then obtain permission to post them). So yes, they probably are helpful, but for now (especially considering my rate of posting has slowed to about 1/month), I fear I'm going to stick with text and as many plots as I can manage.
    Thanks for reading,
    Hugh

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing post, I read a little about this but never as deep as you put it, it is incredible, so many things that we still do not understand about the basics of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be happy if there's a video on this. If it doesn't take up too much time of yours..

    ReplyDelete
  6. interesting! although I have no expert, but I want have to know more and more, on your blog just interesting and useful information.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it.Cheers for the info!!!! & This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about this topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you .........
    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly deserve a round of applause for your post and more specifically, your blog in general. Very high quality material

    ReplyDelete
  9. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this Post, Keep Updating such topics.
    techvilli

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have read this above post its very nice for us thanks sharing ,great post.
    know your pan status,
    know your pan

    ReplyDelete
  12. read this above post its very greatful for me thanks sharing this post ,great post.
    how to root android phone,
    how to root android

    ReplyDelete
  13. This article Awesome .Thanks For Give me Brief Knowledge About Engineering . Energy Can't be Generated It"s Only transfer One Form To Another Form .
    ------------------
    Residential solar installation

    ReplyDelete
  14. firsttly thanks to all valuable information great post.nice post
    dfftheevege
    ssasup,
    opsappsmo

    ReplyDelete

  15. Nice post and great community which can help with comment in every fields and increase knowledge of all field because every person share different iedas and topics so its very nice post to archive good tips for life. thanks for this post.
    dsdsdcxe
    tecrtfgfa
    rygretompe

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks This is the best community for discussion about any topics and sharing best ideas, knowledge and thought. and

    have great Article sharing platform. I like this concept. Thanks a lot of all.
    panknowpan
    panknow
    knowpan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really liked your article , your article is very petrified me in the learning process and provide additional knowledge to me , maybe I can learn more from you , I will wait for your next article article , thanks
    asandroidndidphone
    ndrootdsoid
    arootasandroid

    ReplyDelete
  18. NICE for giving a chance to share ideas for your comuty i really thanks for that great post.
    jhfkdfk
    giuijds
    kfkhf

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for giving this apporchnity to post a comment in your commuty is a nice post sharin by you thanks.
    dsbookt
    ppost
    ifiehigl

    ReplyDelete